[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 927: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 927: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3550: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3551: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3552: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
After Dark & Ranger Brigade • View topic - New Computer build

After Dark & Ranger Brigade

Home of the After Dark & Ranger Brigade Guilds
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New Computer build
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:58 am 

After saving last year, and this year I finally got my new system. Its up and running and Im on it now.

Corsair Pro series gold 1200w power supply
i7 x980 extreme CPU
Rampage III extreme MB
24g Corsair 1600 RAM
Mushkin 250g SSD
HAF 932 case
h70 corsair CPU cooler
580GTX EVGA Black Ops edition(whatever the hell that means) vid card. I chose it cause it was the only one on newegg at the time that had an hdmi hook up (that was a 580gtx).

Its a beast =).

And I realize 24g ram is overkill as is the power supply but I built this to add to it later as well as expecting it to last 5 years.

Post subject: Re: New Computer build
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:15 am 
Site Admin

You running Windows 7 Pro 64bit? As last I recall Win7 64 Home capped out at like 16GB of Ram.

Wasn't that vid card the one they put out as a special edition for Call of Duty Black Ops? Black cooler with a Skull wearing a beret on it. Came with a poster or sticker or something.

The PSU makes me scratch my head.. Pretty sure you could run that whole system with an 850w Corsair. Hell my 610w Silencer can run SLI 460 GTX's if I got the extra connectors for the 2nd card.

Nice case, I've always been a big fan of Cooler Master cases. I'm stuck with their mid-tower lines because of desk space. I can't go any higher than 20in or I'd have to remove my back/top shelves.

But it is a nice machine, I just think you've finally hit the "Now that is just silly!" point. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:06 am 

Yeah I run Win7pro.

The psu is more for future than now. Also for ocing (which Im doing now, the cpu is oc'd to 4g and running @ 20c). I could also oc the ram if I wanted but atm, Im not sure if it would really make that much of a difference...few years down the road it might.

Yeah Im not sure about the whole black ops thing. You got it right, thats the card...at least they could have given me the game with the card! (Seriously, considering how much the card was...)
Love the case. Unless they ever change the form factor I will never get another. The thing is so big I can work inside it and change components without having to remove anything. Plenty of space to hide all the wiring as well.The airflow is superb. I have it set up to bring air in from the front, back, bottom, and side and flow out the top (since heat rises). It makes for a very cool system (seems to avg @ 28c)
Loving the SSD as well.

Widows grades it at a 7.8 out of 7.9. Guess Id need server type set up to get a 7.9 :P

Yeah, its a little into silly (specially the RAM at this point) but Im happy with it. And like I said, its about building it to make it last as long as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:38 am 
Site Admin

I curse you.....

I had some display issues during the last Rift beta event. A bottom section of the screen about 2 inches high would shift about two inches to the right. Screenshots didn't pick up on it (displayed normally) but it would transfer over to my desktop. Figured it was the game and ignored it. Now today during a MNC session the same thing happened, and it wouldn't go away.

Since I have an older card sitting in my desk I decided to swap out and see if there was something with my monitor. Monitor was fine so I swapped back to my previous card and it came back. I dug out an old CRT I have sitting in my closet and it showed the same issue.

-DAMN IT- Only had the card for 2 years and was rather annoyed.

So I hit up newegg and check out their daily specials. I then notice their "All Star Event" in the banner. Figured what the hell, might as well check it.

At the very bottom is this bad boy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 14-121-391

Not my favorite brand, but for basically $50 off and $10 cheaper then the card I had in my cart... (had the 768MB version of it in my cart)
Oh and free 3 day shipping too.

If you need/want a new card.. and can handle this one.. (I'd say 550watt PSU min, with 2 6-pin PCI-E connectors) This is a pretty damn good deal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:23 am 

That is a beast of a build!

That power supply is crazy!

Good for you bro.

Warhammer (Retired)
Stormigan<Pig; friend of pig>,Stormwyn, Duhstorm, Festus, Aramoon

DAoC (Retired)
Too many to count

WoW (Retired)
Supaka , Festus , Cronia, Scyleth, Aramoon, Stormigan<Pig; friend of pig>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:35 am 

I just realized I never answered the RAM question. WinPro does indeed detect and use 24g of ram.