[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 927: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 927: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3550: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3551: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3552: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
After Dark & Ranger Brigade • View topic - DC Universe Online

After Dark & Ranger Brigade

Home of the After Dark & Ranger Brigade Guilds
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: DC Universe Online
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:43 pm 

Hey,

Been keeping up with several games during development, this one went live on 01/12/11. DCUO was #3 on my most interesting list. I have been reading forums from folks and wow everyone seems to like this game. I was wondering if anyone was playing it? Figured Mal might be do his CoH fancy. I have been toying with getting it and giving it a try at most until GW2 comes out. Oh, in case anyone is interested in what games I was watching they are : 1. Guild Wars 2, 2. The Old Republic Online, 3. DCUO, and 4. Rift. Lemme know.

Warhammer (Retired)
Stormigan<Pig; friend of pig>,Stormwyn, Duhstorm, Festus, Aramoon

DAoC (Retired)
Too many to count

WoW (Retired)
Supaka , Festus , Cronia, Scyleth, Aramoon, Stormigan<Pig; friend of pig>

Post subject: Re: DC Universe Online
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:23 pm 

Steam shows Mal as owning it.

Well Mal, give up the goods. Is it any good?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:37 am 
Site Admin

Combat system takes some getting used to. Still a holy trinity for class roles.. options are really limited. 2 tank(Fire, Ice), 2 control(Gadget, Mental) 2 support/heal(Sorcery, Nature) although all can dps. There is a toggle between dps and your other role. After you pick your powerset you get to pick your weaponset and there are quite a few. I went 2-hander which is alright, buddy went staff and its pretty decent. Weaponskill combos are done via mouse clicks on PC unless you have a controller. I -might- have to order 2 new mice in the future.. one to replace my current if it goes back, and another for after Diablo 3 kills that one.

The legends pvp stuff is fun as hell. Basically you get 1 of 2 free legends to use in the fights. Heroes get Robin, Villains get Harley. You earn marks of legend which can be used to buy new legends regardless of which faction you are. ie: I'm a villain yet I've been owning people with Huntress. I'm thinking about saving up for the Joker.

Controls are very very console oriented/optimized. Friend uses a controller and found it to be better than mouse/keyboard. I prefer keyboard personally. UI needs work, as their chat system is complete crap.

PvP is mainly about stun locks, although you can block to break them and hold block and move to roll out of the way. Very much like an action rpg. Playing on a pvp server makes you really have to pay attention to the minimap and see if any hostiles are around.

PS3 and PC Servers are separate, as are US and EU servers.

I was on the most populated pvp server (Death & Glory) but after 30minute queues on day 2 me and my friends switched to Cry For Blood. I think theres around 6 or 7 of us with it atm, but only 2 of us that are really playing alot which is fine. We both are 30 (max lvl) and just started doing the Duo content which is pretty freaking rough. I've done some of the 4man group stuff, and you really either need to out level the content or need an organized group.

Will it last past the free month? unsure, but I was willing to drop 50 bucks on it to try it. With WoW already burned out for a few of us (real quick this xpac) we have been playing whatever we can.

I will tell you guys the same thing I told my friends. I can't recommend for or against it. If you want to try out something new or are a huge dc comic geek I say go for it. Mark Hamill voices the Joker in the game which is amazing. Wil Wheaton does Robin I think... Kevin Conroy does Batman as well. James Marsters does a decent Luthor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:46 pm 

http://www.cad-comic.com/

This write up on Rifts sounds great. I really like customizing games like that (except for the horrid graphics AC was really good because of this, though it had its other downsides). The pvp sounds really promising as well.

I dont like that PS3 and computer are separate servers, that really bites. Im not sure if Im even getting the game, my money is real tight atm, but if I did I wanted it for PS3.

Stunlocking PVP blows that aspect for me, block or no block.

Wife and I picked up Cata. We both love it. Cant say Im burned out on it at all. Ton of stuff to do, all of it challenging. Though my play time is limited.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Me and my friends ended up running every heroic after hitting 85 and getting geared.. then had no reason to continue running anything after the first week or two. 20-30minute queues for pvp isn't fun, and hour+ long queues for when you want to do your daily heroic kills off even more. I ended up getting 4 85's before I said screw it and canceled again. Maybe I am too jaded for these games now..who knows.

The stun lock thing only becomes an issue when you are being swarmed, and lets be honest... If you are being swarmed chances are you will be dead anyway. Level doesn't matter too much it seems, although gear might later on. I was lvl 16 or so and took out a lvl 30 solo, just to die to a lvl 8 sometime later. Quite abit of rock/paper/scissors going on.

As for Rift.. I like the idea of the class/soul system... and I guess the Rifts (aka Public Quests) could be fun... but then I noticed they hired on a few devs from Mythic/WAR and I cringe. Adam Gershowitz was the guy in charge of the WAR classes by the end of the beta. Now he is the producer for Rift? yeah....... I'll wait that one out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:12 am 

Without a good guild I can see where Cata might get tiring. Im in an awesome guild, with a good amount of people (not too many) whom Ive known for a very long time now. We run daily heroics together, and about ready to hit the 10 mans.

You have some long PVP queues, ours are pretty fast. I really like the changes to pvp (longer fights).

How the hell did you get exalted with all the Cata factions with 4 85's?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:16 pm 

Well, I decided to give DC a try and am currently on Darkness Falls server until I figure it out, then I'll try your pvp server Mal. Name is S t o r m i g a n of course :)

Warhammer (Retired)

DAoC (Retired)
Too many to count

WoW (Retired)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:34 pm 

DC is going good, I agree with Mal on the chat being horrid. I also think the powers aren't explained very well, and some of the skills are hard to do, I can't seem to get some of them to work. I'm sure it will hold me over for a few months, hopefully they will fix the problems.

Anyhow I got into Rift Beta, and they sent me a key that can be used 25 times for my guild to get in to their events. If any of you want the information here it is.

Go to https://account.RIFTgame.com and create your account and apply the code below. You should be notified for the next beta event.

QD7C-GR7W-PJWC-ET2H-FNQJ

Warhammer (Retired)

DAoC (Retired)
Too many to count

WoW (Retired)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:13 pm 

I might check out the requirements and see if my laptop would run it decently....if so I may take you up on that offer :)

Gimp Chimp Acct 3
On Acct 1 I have toons on at least 6 servers. On Acct 2 almost the same. Accts 3 and 4 not so many.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:25 pm 

Someone in my WoW guild got the 25 invite as well. I'll let ya know what server we're going on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:54 pm 

let me know what you think of it in a month. i you are still playing ill try it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:16 am 

Flounder<Bellatrix the greats love slave>,

This game seems like one that you play for 30 days stop for 3 months play for 30 days and so on.

Rift seems cool so far, I need your server Sev so I can switch and your faction.

Warhammer (Retired)

DAoC (Retired)
Too many to count

WoW (Retired)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:42 am 
Site Admin

Location: Somewhere in Oklahoma (with the cuddlemonster and Stinkybutt)
hehe... the auto translate stuff still working i see...

Makes me giggle everytime :)

on a side note i've amend them to include the actual word being used and then my silly little comments.

so "Word" is replaced with "Word<Bella<most awesome person in the whole world> Remark>"

so B ELLA without the space becomes Bella<most awesome person in the whole world>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:03 pm 

Stor m where are you playing at....my laptop is running it fine until 30 people on the screen start casting lol

Gimp Chimp Acct 3
On Acct 1 I have toons on at least 6 servers. On Acct 2 almost the same. Accts 3 and 4 not so many.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:11 pm 

Thanks Bella<most awesome person in the whole world> appreciate that....

Pirate<wishes he wasn't so cold, and why doesn't anyone use his first name anymore> I am on Deepstrike server as a defiant with Stormigan<Pig; friend of pig> and Aramoon thus far

Warhammer (Retired)

DAoC (Retired)
Too many to count

WoW (Retired)