[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 927: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 927: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3550: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3551: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3552: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
After Dark & Ranger Brigade • View topic - So I kinda messed up

After Dark & Ranger Brigade

Home of the After Dark & Ranger Brigade Guilds
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: So I kinda messed up
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:44 pm 

I needed to reformat my laptop, for various reasons. I couldnt find my recovery software that came with the laptop, so I installed the windows that came with my PC, thinking that Ive only reformatted my computer once, so the code should still be good. Well I reformatted and it wasnt... blah. So my laptop has an acient version of XP on their now, with no way to upgrade. I cant find a key that works for it, or the Windows XP Pro SP@ disc I have.

Blah.

Altare - 50 Celt Druid
BG1:Challenger, Miata, Touareg - 30s: DrPhil - 40s: Superbee, Nitz
Life with responsibility? The scary kind of fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:23 pm 

I used to have an XP key maker program before I reformatted. Let me see if my buddy still has it and can send it to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:01 pm 

Found a CD key that seems to work for my buddies XP Pro recovery disc... finger's crossed. I hate to do this unlegit... but they forced me to.

Altare - 50 Celt Druid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:24 am 
Site Admin

Well..

If by chance you have a normal windows xp pro disc (no service packs) I have a CD key that is legal, and is considered a "student" key in that the school is allowed to give out copies of the cd with that key. (how I got it)

I don't know if it will work with SP1/2 CD's though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:33 am 

That key I gave you didn't work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:45 am 

Ill look around Mal.

Nope Lucky. The version of Windows I got to install, but not register, is Windows XP Pro SP2 version 2002.

Altare - 50 Celt Druid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

check with your IT department at the school to see if they are allowed to give out a copy? I mean it is needed for classes.. (the laptop) That is if you haven't finished for the summer already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:01 pm 

Good thinking. And I have to come in anyway.

Bill is helping me out too. We got it to update... even without the register. But it will still block me out in 30, err 29 days.

Altare - 50 Celt Druid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:30 pm 

So I got a copy and a serial from the school, but after reformatting it stopped at and said something about the spnike.dll, and then turned off. I couldnt read the message, so I dont know exactly was it was. I thought there might have been an error on the disc so I tried with another disk and it stoped at a similar point, probably the same. I wasnt watching it at the time it shut off.

Im trying to install it now with the disc that I got running originally. That's where I am now.

Altare - 50 Celt Druid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

well..

You could try my key I guess.. PM Sent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

err wtf no edit options anymore. Try your school cdkey first, if no go I'll PM you mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:09 am 

No need Mal, but thanks for the offer.

It seemed that and disc with SP2 was getting hung up on one of the files, for reasons I dont know. So anyway, I used my original Dell disc to reformat the drive and install the basic copy of of XP. Then I used the schools copy to upgrade, so that it was the key that it would be running of of. Wtih a few scares, that all worked. The key from the school was valid... no hassles there. And now my laptop is fully updated, and has all the drivers.

Now I appreciate the hassle that reformatting SHOULDNT be but is. And Im gonna keep all the hog programs that accumulated off my computer off this time. (Some of hte worst stuff installed with my bluetooth phone.) Driver utilities and Mcafee are going to be the only startup programs. Well I can try.

Altare - 50 Celt Druid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Now I appreciate the hassle that reformatting SHOULDNT be but is. And Im gonna keep all the hog programs that accumulated off my computer off this time. (Some of hte worst stuff installed with my bluetooth phone.) Driver utilities and Mcafee are going to be the only startup programs. Well I can try.

Heh... its not that much of a hassle.. Atleast if you actually think to prep first :)

If you have a burner.. burn all of your main drivers onto it. Even if they end up being outdated, atleast you have some to help you upgrade later.

My first reformat I did almost the same as you, although I got windows installed correctly the first time. My problem instead, was that I didn't have any drivers for my onboard nic, usb, and a couple other things. I got lucky and found the original nic driver on the compaq site and it was small enough to fit on a floppy. (USB drivers weren't installed so no thumb drive)

I now have a partition on my main harddrive atm that holds all of my drivers and other utilities/backups. I never touch it when I reformat windows so its there as soon as windows detects it.

Since that experience with the drivers.. I think I've reformated atleast 6 times last year. I'm due for one here shortly after spring classes end in 2 weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:21 pm 

Me and Rando were talking about Ghosting.

To his credit, he did a better job explaining it to me than I can probably explain it. When I get all the software to where I want it, I can make a partition on my desktop drive, and keep a ghost copy of the laptop at that point on the desktop. I would habe to get a cheapo laptop HD to PC connector to copy it to the PC of course. Then apparently all you need to go back to that point is to connect the Laptop HD to the PC and then boot the laptop with a boot disc (Hmmm just thought about it, and the laptop doesnt have a floppy drive. I hope he means CD)

Something to try after exams. Anyway, this whole thing has stolen time away from me studying for my exams, or at least procrastinating studying for them with something else ;)

Altare - 50 Celt Druid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:40 am 
Site Admin

Yes I know about ghosting. the computer labs in your college most likely do it as well. (Mine Does)

Its roughly the easiest way to try and keep "bad things" off the network by reghosting the os and files back overwriting everything else.

Only thing I would be wary of.. is the drivers installed on your desktop conflicting with the stuff on your laptop. Personally I'm a fan of a good ole reformat and clean install. Ghosting is more for when you have a huge set of computers you need to do very quickly.